Thursday, April 2, 2015

Vernacular vs. Modernity

In this week’s readings, I found the article with the interview with Rem Koolhaas particularly interesting.  There are two things that came to my mind while reading this article.  Firstly, I thought about the role of the architect in architecture today and how their work is perceived.  Secondly, I found myself thinking about modern architecture and if it is truly reflecting the cultures in which it is built. 

While reading this article, I found it interesting when Koolhaas said, “it is always slightly disconcerting to hear my former collaborators describe the projects.  I have to say that one thing that is rarely discussed is how big the influence of forces other than the architect is on the architectural project”.  It got me thinking about the way the public views architecture.  Oftentimes, we don’t take things such as economy into account when we are critiquing a building.  We look at the building and either praise or criticize the architect for their work.  We don’t consider what influenced the architect or the circumstances he had to deal with when designing the building.  He goes on to say, “the profession has an investment in the idea of the architect having superhuman powers.  It is totally counter-productive, because it cuts off any real communication between the architect and the public”.  I think the architect and the public should be able to communicate the ideas of a new building better with one another and try to create a united front on what they want the building to look like.  

I would like to talk about modernity versus vernacular.  In some ways it feels like modernity is beginning to replace vernacular in term of architecture being built.  Buildings appear to look similar in many different cities and are not really reflecting the ideals of a culture.  However, on the other hand, I think that some architects are beginning to look back at traditional ways of building to see how they lived and designed their buildings.  By embracing regionalism and cultural building traditions, vernacular architecture can adopt many principles that can not only reflect a culture but can also turn out to be green in many ways.  I think by aiming to create more vernacular architecture, the effect will be more harmonious.  I think about the Liyuan Library in China.  It is a library that is a modern addition to this city in China but it also incorporates the vernacular of the city and landscape around it in a way that appears seamless.  I think this library is a great example of how a building can incorporate both modernity and vernacular.  I think more architects should strive to create buildings like the Liyuan Library.  




No comments:

Post a Comment